Free Ski/Free Ride
For nearly 20 years Breckenridge has enjoyed a preferred status among the snowboarding set. After a buzz that was created when Breckenridge hosted the first Snowboarding Word Cup, the good word has continued to spread since with competitions like the Van’s Triple Crown and world-class athletes, photographers and filmers calling Breckenridge home and the best place to ride and shoot. In recent years with the emergence of twin tipped skis allowing “freeskiers” to enjoy the same terrain as snowboarders, Breckenridge can now count some of the most prominent freeskiers among their ranks as well.
- 1984-Breckenridge became Colorado’s first major resort to allow snowboarding. Well before many of today’s snowboarding heroes were out of grade school.
- 1985-Breckenridge host’s first Snowboarding Word Cup featuring snowboarding legends such as Sean Palmer.
- Late 1980’s-The states, possibly the countries, first retail store to exclusively carry snowboarding equipment opened its doors for business in Breckenridge
- Late 1980’s-Rumored that one of North America’s premiere snowboarding magazines was founded over beers at the Horseshoe Bar in Breckenridge.
- 1998-Debut of the Breckenridge Team. The team has since featured notable skiers and snowboarders such as Todd Richards and Seth Morrison.
- 2000-Breckenridge became the first resort in the country to purchase a Super Dragon allowing the resort to create the countries first SuperPipe.
Today Breckenridge pays homage to the growing sports early pioneers with a History of Snowboarding display located in the Vista Haus Restaurant on Peak 8.
This season Breckenridge’s freeride terrain has expanded to include three terrain parks and two halfpipes. The expansion will allow the resort to provide separate terrain parks for beginner, intermediate and expert skiers and riders.
The Freeway Terrain Park is one of North America’s most acclaimed terrain parks, receiving numerous awards from various magazines and readers polls. The expert only park plays host world-class athletes, competitions and exhibitions throughout the season. The Breckenridge Freeway Terrain Park is often the first park and pipe in the country to open for the season.
- Located on Peak 8
- · Starting at 2,400’, the Freeway Terrain Park drops 300’ at 17 degrees with a series of rolls and banked turns
- The next 1,950’ consists of large park style jumps, table tops and spines on a slope of 12 – 13 degrees
- Home to the Breckenridge SuperPipe featuring 15-foot walls and a 17-foot transition
- Finishing with a large table jump (site of big air competitions), the last 150 feet drops into the base area at 15 degrees
- Total vertical drop is 500 feet
- Features are changed throughout the season
- Benefiting from extensive snowmaking operations and Breckenridge’s high elevation that allows the resort to get snow earlier and keep it later then most, Freeway is often the first park and pipe in North America to open each season.
- The Freeway Terrain Park is the site of Vans Triple Crown of Snowboarding, Chevy Truck U.S. Chevy Truck Grand Prix, Freeskiing Super Pipe X-Games Qualifier and numerous other competitions throughout the season.
- Number One Park Designers in North America- Cutter’s Cup Sponsored by Snowboarder Magazine- 2002
- Number one pipe in North America- 2001 Transworld Snowboarding
- Number four park in North America- 2001 Transworld Snowboarding
- Number three overall resort experience- 2001 Transworld Snowboarding
- Top Four Park in North America- Snowboarder Magazine-200
- Top Four Pipe in North America- Snowboarder Magazine-200
- Top 15 places in Freesking- Freeskier Magazine- 200
- Number One Pipe in north America- Transworld Snowboarding Life- 2000
- Number Two Park in North America- Transworld Snowboarding Life- 2000
The resorts intermediate facility on Peak 9 was named after a mine with a particularly rich vein. Gold King’s own treasures are a dominant feature on Peak 9, yet its hits and features are more subdued for the budding free rider/skier.
- Located on Peak 9
- Perfect for intermediate riders and skiers
- Displays a variety of rails and hits
- Features are changed throughout the season
For those looking for a spot to learn how to ride the rails, halfpipe and jumps, this season Breckenridge is debuting the Swinger Terrain Park. Designed specifically for beginners the park will no doubt meet Breckenridge’s stringent design standards while providing a safe and fun introduction to freestyle terrain.
- Located on Peak 8
- Smaller scale features for beginner skier and riders
- Introductory pipe
The job of creating and maintaining these three parks falls to the Breckenridge Park Crew. The crew will be directed for the second season by park designer and longtime crewmember Elliott Cone.
- The Best in the Country- During the 2002 the Breckenridge Park Design team was awarded top honors in the first-ever Cutter’s Cup Park Design Competition. The event, hosted by Snowboarder Magazine, pitted four of North America’s top park design crews against each other challenging each to design a park that would be best received by a select group of professional snowboarders. The riders spoke and Breckenridge was named number one.
- Direction- The Breckenridge Park Crew works closely with Breckenridge Team riders on both design and maintenance aspects to ensure park features and parks are up to world-class standards.
- Maintenance-The park crew is on hand daily to keep the various parks in top shape. Committed to grooming the parks each night the crew is also on hand all day every day to ensure weather and use don’t degrade the quality of the parks.
The Team Rider program, established in 1998, has developed Summit County's premier riding force:
- Team Riders must be Breckenridge locals who show a strong desire to represent the resort through their riding and positive attitude.
- Some are established professionals while others are up-and-coming amateurs using the program as a stepping stone to enhance their skills and profiles.
- The 2001-2002 team included such notables as Todd Richards, Chad Otterstrom and Seth Morrison.
- Riders are given the opportunity to compete in Breckenridge competitions and photo shoots Riders offer constructive feedback on the terrain, operations and industry trends.
- The Breckenridge Team features male and female snowboarders, skiers and telemarkers.
- The Breckenridge 2003-2004 team will be announced this fall.